Our friends over at Boardwalk Food Company were nice enough to send us a few boxes of their Craft Beer Snack Mixes, including a variety of pretzels and popper flavors. One of the first things we thought about when starting Hops About Beer was how can we do something different and fun? Well, since my wife is a chef, it was a pretty easy decision to come up with some recipes where we could combine great food with an equally great craft beer. For those that don’t have the privilege of living with a chef that can come up with some friendly recipes on the fly, Boardwalk Food Company is here to help you out.
Boardwalk Food Company built their business around some easy to make craft beer snacks that can be cooked in a social environment and shared with the community so others can see what beers have been paired with each craft beer snack. Before we dive in, let’s take a look at some more information about Boardwalk Food Company:
BE MORE SOCIAL – With Easy to Prepare Snack Mixes
We’ve created easy to prepare snack mixes that require little knowledge of baking or cooking. The primary ingredient in our mixes is beer. We currently offer a line of Craft Beer Popper mixes – bite sized mini muffins made with beer.
MIX IN CRAFT BEER – Pair Our Snacks with Your Favorite
Craft beer has enjoyed a tremendous amount of growth recently. We find that fans of craft beer are fun loving and social. They love to experiment with their favorite beers, talk about those beers and share those beers. Our mixes provide a vehicle for doing just that.
TELL US ALL ABOUT IT – We Want to Hear from You!
We built Boardwalk Food Company around the principles of fun, family and friends. We exist to help better people’s lives by bringing them together. Tell us how you enjoy time with your friends and family! Visit us on Facebook, send pictures on Instagram, or Tweet us your favorite pairing.
The great thing about these craft beer snacks is that they are simplifying the process so that there is minimal work that needs to be done to sit down and enjoy these great snacks. We received the following four boxes from Boardwalk Food Company:
- Popper Mix – Cornbread
- Popper Mix – Rosemary Sea Salt
- Pretzel Mix – Cinnamon Sugar
- Pretzel Mix – Original
I happen to be a huge pretzel fan so it was an easy choice to start with the original pretzel mix. Now, this is where the fun begins…picking out which beer to use! The first thing I did was check out the beer pairing section on their website to get an idea of what types of beers have been paired with this specific mix successfully and then start my search for the perfect beer. Beers that have been previously paired with this mix were a Blonde Ale, a Pretzel Wheat and an Island Ale. With a style in mind, I headed to my closest craft beer store to peruse the wheat ale section. After long consideration, I decided to go with the Modern Times Fortunate Islands since I knew that this specific beer had some great tropical notes but also a solid nutty malt backbone that sounded like it would pair perfectly with the original pretzel mix. Now we are ready to cook! Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 Box of Pretzel Mix
- 6oz of beer (I had 16oz but leftovers into a cup for me to drink)
- 2 tbsp of Baking Soda
- ½ Stick (4 tbsp) of Unsalted Butter, Melted
- Greased baking tray
Now that we have everything to cook with, let’s get down to business using these cooking instructions:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and dissolve baking soda in 4 cups of simmering water (do not boil).
- Stir beer and pretzel mix in a large bowl until combined. Knead the dough ball on a lightly floured surface for 5-7 minutes.
- Portion the dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a round tube and cut into 2” sections. Each piece of dough should yield 6 pretzels.
- Dunk the pretzels into the simmering baking soda water for 5-10 seconds. The dough will float when ready to be removed. Drain and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 7 minutes at 425 degrees. Rotate the tray and bake for another 6-7 minutes until golden brown. Brush with the melted butter and sprinkle with the provided topping.
That’s it! Amazing beer pretzels in 30 minutes. But wait, shouldn’t we have something to dip these into? Of course! You can either head to the store to find a dip of your liking or you can thank us (mainly my wife) for this amazing cheddar cheese dipping sauce recipe. This cheese sauce is really good for Pretzels & Nachos. A perfect treat for football season! Make sure you use sharp cheddar cheese. We love Preservation and Co. Capitol Siracha Hot Sauce in this recipe:
2 TBS. Unsalted Butter
3 TBS. Flour
½ Cup Milk
¾ C Beer
12 oz. Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp. Your Favorite Mustard
Hot Sauce to Taste
Salt and Black or Cayenne Pepper to taste
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Using a whisk, add flour to the pot and stir constantly for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and beer to prevent chunks. Bring the mixture to a simmer add the Worcestershire, Mustard and hot sauce. Cook mixture for 3 to 5 minutes until it begins to thicken.
- Divide the cheese into 3 amounts. Add one amount of cheese to the pot and whisk until it is completely melted. Repeat with the next two amounts. It is important to make sure you melt all of the previous cheese before adding more. Season with salt and pepper of your choice to taste.
One of the things that I love about this product is that from a guy’s point-of-view, the instructions are simple and most importantly, the cleanup is easy! You will not have to slave away in the kitchen to make these and clean everything up. They are delicious, easy and will have you cooking your own beer snacks in no time.
If you’d like to learn more about Boardwalk Food Company or purchase some Craft Beer Snack Mixes, please visit them at https://www.boardwalkfoodco.com